Liberal Democrats Putting People First
Broadland District Manifesto 2019
The Liberal Democrats will run a Council that listens and puts people before, bureaucracy or politics. People deserve real consultations on major changes with real choices. We will work to bring the Council closer to the people it serves and expand opportunity for all.
- Housing: We will conduct a full housing policy review to ensure that the right kind of new homes are built to serve the needs of Broadland residents, constructed to a high standard and in the right places. If developers will not build sufficient affordable homes a Lib Dem Council will take action through a property partnership company to build them.
- Climate Change: We will declare a "climate emergency". We will consult experts and set a target for the Council to achieve carbon neutrality. We will assess the impact on climate change on all areas of Council activity.
- Waste: A commitment to increased recycling and reduce residual waste. The Liberal Democrats will maintain the current level of waste collections. There will be no reduction to three weekly collections.
- Business: New investment in economic development. A start up fund to support new businesses and expand specialised support in our economic development team. We will set ambitious targets for apprenticeships in Broadland.
- Public transport: We will create an innovation fund and work with partners to develop and improve rural public transport.
- Collaborate with Norfolk County Council to develop the new Early Childhood and Family service to include practical support for families with children in early years, acknowledging the importance that the home environment and early years progress has on their future.
- Collaborative working with South Norfolk District council. We will maintain Broadlands democratic independence and accountability. We will work efficiently with South Norfolk to bring about improved local services and to strengthen the work that our staff carry out for residents. Efficient working ensures we will deliver improved services whilst keeping council tax below the National average for Broadland rate payers.